Repair Cavities With Tooth Fillings in Westerville
When it comes to your smile, you want people to notice your teeth and not your dental restorations. We keep the focus where it belongs by using natural-looking composite and porcelain, not metal, for our tooth fillings in Westerville.
A natural appearance is a big benefit, but it’s not the only one. Our tooth-colored fillings also:
- Do Not Contain Mercury – Amalgam (metal) fillings contain mercury. Although the FDA and the ADA say mercury is safe in dental restorations, we think it makes sense to avoid mercury whenever possible.
- Require Less Alteration of Teeth – Our dentists remove less healthy tooth structure to place composite fillings.
- Are Less Likely to Cause Problems – Temperature fluctuations cause metal to expand and contract. Over time, this can cause cracks or other structural weakness.
Our dentists use laser cavity detectors during dental exams to find decay before it’s had a chance to do much damage. We use air abrasion instead of a drill to repair small cavities. If you think you have a cavity, call 614-392-7109.
Prevent Cavities With Fluoride & Other Treatments
Good oral hygiene habits, combined with regular dental cleanings, can help prevent cavities in the first place. We recommend:
- Brushing two times a day, for two full minutes each time.
- Using an ADA-approved toothpaste containing fluoride.
- Flossing daily.
- Visiting our office every six months for a cleaning and exam.
Our dentists may also suggest preventive dental care, such as applications of fluoride or dental sealants.
Larger Cavities May Require Other Dental Restorations
With our laser cavity detectors, we typically find cavities when they are small and easy to repair with a filling. Larger cavities may require one of our other dental restorations:
- Dental Crown – Like our composite fillings, our crowns use no metal. Durable porcelain crowns look great, with no tell-tale line of metal at your gumline, and will last for many years with proper care. We even offer a limited warranty on our crowns.
- Inlay or Onlay – These restorations, which cover the entire top surface of your tooth, are our usual choice if cavities are too large for a filling but not large enough for a crown.
To make an appointment at a practice that uses no metal for its tooth fillings in Westerville, call 614-392-7109.